eyeon08.com: “[Huckabee's] authenticity and Romney’s phoniness seems to have stopped Romney’s forward momentum”
October 25, 2007 in 2008, analysis, argument, campaign management, election, election 2008, GOP, incompetence, media, mitt romney, republicans, rhetoric, romney, strategy, stupidity, the dark soul of Mitt Romney, triumph of unreason
Tags: eye, eyeon08.com, Fred Thompson, Giuliani, gross ratings points, GRPs, Huckabee, Iowa, negative attacks, negativity
“Romney has a flip-flopping, character, and authenticity problem,” writes the estimable eye of eyeon08.com in a speculative discursus titled Questions that Remain
But someone is going to have to actually buy gross rating points to move this message. Who? Rudy has the resources, but is probably saving them for later. And, in any case, both Mike Huckabee and Thompson are only relevant if Romney fails. The incentives are there.
Sixth, Huckabee’s performance at the Value Voters summit seems to have reshaped the moral conservative field. The contrast between his authenticity and Romney’s phoniness seems to have stopped Romney’s forward momentum among the interest group leaders here. But can he execute? Attacks on Romney’s credibility and religion only get so far without GRPs. But … if no one else really contests Iowa, is there any chance that Huckabee could out-perform Romney? I mean… if that were really the ballot choice (yeah, I know, it isn’t a ballot), doesn’t Huckabee win?… etc., etc.
The emphasis is ours, all ours.
We disagree—humbly, respectfully disagree as eye is most definitely our superior in all things political. We would argue that it wasn’t Huckabee so much as an overreaching Romney who discomfited Romney at the so-called value voters summit, and halted the shambling Romney machine dead in its tracks. See:
- Dr. Don Wilton comes to his senses: retracts endorsement of Romney—this is the same Wilton that Justin Hart boasted of in his mymanmitt post titled The Ability to Execute
- Hart: Romney campaign unmatched in its ability to execute
This is no special case, we would contend. Romney has overreached, overextended, and grossly over-invested everywhere—for yet another example see: Romney poised to fail in Iowa no matter what the outcome. This is Romney’s way. This is Romney’s pattern. The man has no sense of proportion. Our conclusion: no one needs to lift a finger or utter even a whisper to solve the Romney problem. No one needs to soil their shirt sleeves or stain their hands. It will fall to Romney himself to take out Romney. This is our prediction.
Romney’s most dangerous rival is—and always has been—Romney.
willard milton romney
- Knepper of race42008.com: “During the week that Romney dropped out of the race, his favorability rating, according to Gallup, was -12!”
- the maddeningly inarticulate kevin madden—late of the dire and disastrous Romney campaign—to work for Glover Park Group
- now dispersed former Team Romney hacks and hirelings can’t let it go
- Globe Staff: Romney put in at least $42.3 million of his own money, a big chunk of the $97 million he spent on the campaign
- John Ellis: [Romney] “was terribly served by his campaign staff and advisors—I would argue that they win the worst campaign team of 2008—Good riddance to them—They had everything they needed to make a good run and they made a complete hash of it”
- 37,950 hits
categories that we use2008 analysis argument Blogroll campaign communications campaign communiques campaign finance campaign literature campaign management centrism conservatism dotan election election 2008 Evangelicals gaffs and pratfalls GOP incompetence Iowa Iraq media mitt romney obama perelman policy polls republicans rhetoric romney strategy stupidity the dark soul of Mitt Romney triumph of reason triumph of unreason
tags"the speech" abortion abuse advertising Ames anger AP associated press attacks Bain Capital Boston Globe byron york corruption debate duplicity economy ennui equity-sector evangelicals for mitt eyeon08.com failure Florida foreign policy Geraghty Giuliani Glen Johnson gov. mike huckabee Greg Sargent hatred healthcare Huckabee ideological cross-dresser immigration Iowa Jennifer Rubin jerks jim geraghty John McCain Jonathan Martin Justin Hart kevin madden lies Massachusetts McCain Michael Luo mittwits and mittiots mormonism mormons morons National Review negative negative advertising negative attacks negative campaigning negativity New Hampshire new media New York Times NRO NYT Politico.com race42008.com ROI Rudy Giuliani security Sen. John McCain South Carolina super-duper apocalypse tuesday taxes team romney The Corner Thompson von Schlieffen plan wapo Washington Post
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
willard milton romney on technorati.com, blogpulse.com, DIGG.com, reddit.com, The American Federalist’s Romney Ramblings etc., etc.
- Ann and Mitt Romney baptized her father, an "avowed atheist", 11 months after he died. He doesn't even respect the basic rights of his father-in-law -- why do people think he'll respect theirs?
- People weren't sure how sincere Mitt Romney was about screwing the poor and middle class, because his positions are so malleable, so he picked Paul Ryan to prove he really means it.
- I'm Shane Smith from VICE and I went to Juarez to meet Mitt Romney's Mexican Mormon family and investigate their war against the drug cartels. Ask Me Anything.
- Conservatives of Reddit, after the RNC, has your opinion changed of Mitt Romney? Why or Why not?
- I think Mitt Romney actually believes he's an entirely self-made man. That kind of delusion is dangerous in a leader.
- For years, Fox and the GOP attacked Obama's past, but now one attack on Romney's past and there is an outrage? Why are they such hypocrites?
- Obama's top 5 contributors are the University of California, Microsoft, Google, DLA Piper and Harvard University. Romney's top 5 contributors are Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan, Morgan Stanley, Bank of America and Credit Suisse.
- Romney wants to lower the corporate tax rate from 35% to 15%, eliminate the capital gains tax, eliminate the estate tax, and make the Bush tax cuts permanent.
- America, please explain to me how Mitt Romney has a chance to win the elections while the whole world knows he is a liar.
- Is anyone else tickled pink to watch the Romneys reel from not being able to get what they want for once in their lives? It’s even sweeter because apparently, they had no idea it was coming.
- Rev. Jeremiah Wright's daughter found guilty of money laundering (Ray Long/Chicago Tribune)
- London's Laundry Business (Ben Judah/New York Times)
- A Rand Paul rout in CPAC straw poll (James Hohmann/Politico)
- Hard drugs demand solid understanding: Column (USA Today)
- WH defends Obama's Key Largo vacation (Justin Sink/The Hill)
- Romney looks right - Boston Herald
- Santorum attacks Romney, McCain for 'apologizing' for conservatism - Washington Post (blog)
- Carney: Obama Doesn't Regret Dismissing Romney's Assessment Of Russia - RealClearPolitics
- Mitt Romney, 2016 frontrunner* - The Week Magazine
- Does Obama now regret mocking Romney over Russia? Jay Carney says nope - BizPac Review
- Romney? Not that again - The Spokesman Review
- Mitt Romney backs Joni Ernst in Iowa Senate race - Washington Post (blog)
- Cupp: Wasn't Romney right on Russia? - CNN (blog)
- John McCain: Mitt Romney and I were right about Russia - CBS News
- Cruz knocks Dole, McCain, Romney, praises Ron Paul - Washington Post (blog)